- Place Type
- inhabited place
- The city of Aschaffenburg lies on the right bank of the Mainz River in Bavaria, where the Aschaff River meets it, some 20 miles southeast of the city of Frankfurt. It was first a Roman castrum, then the site of the castle of the electors of Mainz from ca. 982, receiving its charter in 1173. It hosted a synod (1292) and an imperial Diet (1447) that prepared a treaty, the Concordat of Aschaffenburg, between the papacy and the empire. It passed to Bavaria in 1814. Among its surviving historic architecture, are the Renaissance castle of Johannisburg, 1605-14, the 12th-century abbey church of Saints Peter and Alexander, which houses a predella with the "Lamentation of Christ" by Matthias Grünewald, and a Romanesque crucifix. The modern city produces clothing, paper, tools, and cosmetics. Its 2004 estimated population was 69,000.
- Thesaurus of Geographic Names (TGN)