- Place Type
- inhabited place
- The city of Rocstock is located on the Warnow River estuary, eight miles from the Baltic outport at Warnemünde in northeastern Germany. It was founded on an old Wendish fortress in the 12th century, and was chartered in 1218. There were three separate settlements, the Old town, the New Town, and the Hops Market, that joined together in 1265 to form the city. It became a leading member of the Hanseatic League in the 1300s, and became a possession of Mecklenburg in the 14th century. It was severely damaged in World War II, and much of the city center had to be reconstructed after the war. Rostock became East Germany's principal seaport and underwent much expansion. Surviving or rebuilt structures include several fine Gothic churches, and the town hall built in the 15th century with a Baroque facade added in 1727. It continues as an important fishing and shipping port, and its industries include fish processing, and the manufactures of chemical products, matches, furniture, and diesel engines. The 2004 estimated population was 197,200.
- Thesaurus of Geographic Names (TGN)