X
MOV File
Online Collections

Bukhara


Details
Alternate Name
Buxoro

Bukhoro

Place Type
political; historical
Description
City located on the Shakhrud Canal on the delta of the Zeravshan river, in the center of the Bukhara oasis. After its founding (around the 1st century CE), the city became a thriving trade center. The Arabs captured the city in 709, Bukhara became capital of the Samanid dynasty in the 9th-10th centuries, and later was captured by Genghis Khan in 1220. In 1506, it was captured by the Shaybanids, an Uzbek tribe, and the city became their capital. In 1920, the region was overthrown by the Russians (who had made the khanate of Bukhara a protectorate in 1868), and Bukhara became the capital of the Bukharan People's Soviet Republic, which was then absorbed into the Uzbek S.S.R. in 1924. In the 1950s, natural gas was discovered and the city rapidly grew. Bukhara contains a number of important older structures, including the Isma'il Samani Mausoleum (9th-10th century CE), the Kalan minaret and mosque (11th century), as well as several madrasahs dating from the 15th-17th centuries.
Source
Thesaurus of Geographic Names (TGN)
Related Terms
Related Artworks
Media
IMLS logoNEA logoNEH logo

The Portland Art Museum’s Online Collections site is brought to you thanks to support provided by the State of Oregon through its second Culture, History, Arts, Movies, and Preservation funding program and generous awards from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the National Endowment for the Arts.