- Place Type
- Located on the N shore of Lake Geneva, 32 m. SE of Geneva. Originally a Celtic settlement and then a Roman military camp, it was ruled by prince-bishops from the 6th century to 1536. The Ottoman Empire signed a treaty here with Italy in 1912 and with Turkey in 1923. It was an intellectual center in the 18th century and was the home of Gibbon, Rousseau, and Voltaire.
- Thesaurus of Geographic Names (TGN)