Louis Bunce, Structure #10, 1939, oil on canvas, Courtesy of the Fine Arts Program, Public Buildings Service, U.S. General Services Administration. Commissioned through the New Deal art projects, public domain, L42.5
This work is not currently on view.
oil on canvas
- Dimensions (H x W x D)
36 3/16 in x 28 1/8 in
- Inscriptions & Markings
signature: L. Bunce, brushed, lower left
inscription: Oregon W.P.A. Art Project, plate on bottom center of frame
- Collection Area
Modern and Contemporary Art; Northwest Art
- Object Type
- Credit Line
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Program, Public Buildings Service, U.S. General Services Administration. Commissioned through the New Deal art projects
- Accession Number
During the late 1930s, Louis Bunce, like many American artists, began working on the Federal Art Projects. He painted murals for the post offices at St. Johns and Grants Pass and created a large number of easel paintings, which were distributed to various government and public organizations, including the Portland Art Museum. He also served as teacher and then Assistant Director for the community art center in Salem from 1937 to 1939.
In 1945, after wartime work in an Oregon shipyard, Bunce became an instructor of painting and graphics at the Museum Art School. As can be seen in Structure #10, Bunce was experimenting with the vocabulary of Surrealism in the late 1930s and, following larger trends in American art, his work in the subsequent decades moved through Cubism into full abstraction.