X
MOV File
Online Collections

Ladd and Tilton Bank (1868 Southwest First Avenue and Stark Street)

Minor%20White%2C%20%3Cb%3E%3Ci%3E%20Ladd%20and%20Tilton%20Bank%20%281868%20Southwest%20First%20Avenue%20and%20Stark%20Street%29%3C%2Fi%3E%3C%2Fb%3E%2C%20ca.%201939%2C%20gelatin%20silver%20print%2C%20Courtesy%20of%20the%20Fine%20Arts%20Program%2C%20Public%20Buildings%20Service%2C%20U.S.%20General%20Services%20Administration.%20Commissioned%20through%20the%20New%20Deal%20art%20projects%2C%20public%20domain%2C%20L42.3.34
Minor White, Ladd and Tilton Bank (1868 Southwest First Avenue and Stark Street), ca. 1939, gelatin silver print, Courtesy of the Fine Arts Program, Public Buildings Service, U.S. General Services Administration. Commissioned through the New Deal art projects, public domain, L42.3.34

This work is on view.

Save to My Collection
Facebook Twitter
Details
Title

Ladd and Tilton Bank (1868 Southwest First Avenue and Stark Street)

Artist

Minor White (American, 1908-1976)

Date

ca. 1939

Medium

gelatin silver print

Dimensions (H x W x D)

image: 13 9/16 in x 10 5/8 in; sheet: 13 9/16 in x 10 5/8 in

Inscriptions & Markings

title: Ladd + Tilton Bank, graphite, bottom left

signature: Minor White, graphite, bottom right

Collection Area

Photography; Northwest Art

Category

Books, Portfolios, and Manuscripts

Photographs

Object Type

photograph

Culture

American

Credit Line

Courtesy of the Fine Arts Program, Public Buildings Service, U.S. General Services Administration. Commissioned through the New Deal art projects

Accession Number

L42.3.34

Copyright

public domain

Terms

banks

gelatin silver prints

photographs

Picturing Oregon

streetscapes

Works Progress Administration Artworks

Place Made

Created in and depicts: Portland

Created in and depicts: Oregon

Location

Jubitz Center for Modern and Contemporary Art

2nd Floor Mezzanine

Mary L. Bauman Gallery

Description

Constructed in 1868, the Ladd and Tilton Bank building, designed by architect John Nestor, was based on Venice's sixteenth-century Libreria Vecchia (Old Library) and stood until 1954, when it was demolished to make way for a parking lot. In 1967, portions of its original cast-iron facade, created by Willamette Iron Works and saved from demolition, were added to the newly expanded and remodeled US Bank building in Salem, Oregon, whose original iron-front facade had been created from the same Willamette Iron Works molds.

Perhaps surprisingly, White's photograph does not clearly define the elaborate iron work of the building's magnificent facade. Much of the building is cast in dense shadow, with only its cut-off corner entryway bathed in light. A fluffy cloud in the distance serves as the lone uncontrolled shape in the composition.

Related Artworks
Media
IMLS logoNEA logoNEH logo

The Portland Art Museum’s Online Collections site is brought to you thanks to support provided by the State of Oregon through its second Culture, History, Arts, Movies, and Preservation funding program and generous awards from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the National Endowment for the Arts.